Here is a really good video featuring my nephew Ben’s new D partner, Moritz Seider. Seider is #53 for Detroit and #21 when he plays for Germany.
More and more defencemen are skating forwards and angling, rather than skating backwards.
Fantastic Examples of Angling
Look for examples of:
- D using forward skating and angling. How is this better than turning backwards?
- D shutting down the other team before they can get into our zone.
- D proactively creating situations that are in our favour, rather than constantly reacting.
Textbook Angling Technique
Watch how Seider uses all the steps that we’ve taught about angling:
- Approach from the inside with our stick pointed UP the ice to prevent passes and cut backs.
- Skate forwards matching speed with the puck carrier.
- Get the blade of your stick as close to the puck as possible.
- Skate through the hands of the puck carrier to strip the puck. (Remember to keep your hands and elbows down to avoid taking a penalty).