This is the 37th day of our team’s virtual mid-season training camp. Each day, there will be a short assignment for you to do to continue your development. These assignments are mandatory for players and coaches. Parents are also encouraged to participate.
Here’s a great video that shows how a couple of pros can train hard and develop their skills while having fun.
The video which features my nephew, Ben Chiarot, and retired player Kevin Bieksa (he’s now an analyst on Hockey Night in Canada) was recorded a few summers ago while Ben was with Winnipeg. He’s now wearing #8 for Montreal.
Making Training Fun:
Here are some great ideas to inject some “fun” into your training.
- Create challenges for yourself. Target shooting or reach a certain speed on a radar gun. Try a trick shot shooting competition. Try to beat your personal best.
- Train with a friend, sibling or parent.
- Play some of your favourite music in the background.
- Put on a favourite television show or video in the background.
- Add obstacles.
- Modify the rules of the game. For example, play one handed or add a rule that says you have to pass once before you can score.
- Start drills in a different spot on the ice.
- Train in different locations.
- Do HIIT intervals while watching a game on television. Try to go full out matching the shift length of your favourite player.
- Complete today’s workout on the TeamBuildr app. Be sure to mark each exercise complete as you finish it.
- Think of one way that you can add “fun” to your training and practicing. (You can’t use Coach Steve’s answer: Train with a friend, just like in the video.) Post your answer to the team WhatsApp group.