This is the second day of our team’s virtual mid-season training camp. Each day for the next 28 days, there will be a short assignment for you to do to continue your development. These assignments are mandatory for players and coaches. Parents are also encouraged to participate.
Definition: Success (noun)
The accomplishment of an aim or purpose.
What is it that you wish to accomplish?
” The sky is not the limit! “Canadian Astronaut Chris Hadfield
Do you want to learn a new skill? Perhaps learn to play guitar? Learn to golf? Learn a new language? Learn to cook? Run a marathon?
Maybe something bigger? Get a college or university degree? Get ahead in your career? Start your own business? Achieve personal and financial independence? Retire?
Have you ever wanted to just be better at everything you do? Have more time for your friends and family? Have more time for your hobbies and the fun things in life? Get more done with less effort?
No matter what it is, you want to do, you need an achievable and executable plan. Throughout this training camp, you’ll learn a proven, easy to follow, step-by-step plan for success that anyone can implement to achieve almost anything.
Since you’re here, it is a pretty good bet that one of your goals is “To Become A Varsity Student Hockey Player“. I’m going to use this as the model goal for this training camp and break it all down from this viewpoint. However, the same process can be used no matter what your goals are.
The Success Game Plan
- Be clear and concise as to who you want to be and what you want to do.
- Plan your attack to become who you want to be and accomplish your goals:
- Break things down into learnable and executable chunks.
- Follow a proven path. Find a coach who can teach.
- Focus on the best 20%
- Build routines that allow you to get more of the right stuff done.
- Live with intention. Stay out of the Zombie-Zone (alive vs. dead time)
- Continual improvement – Get 1% better every day
- The best schedule is one you’ll execute
- Block focus time
- Leverage yourself
- Be more motivated to execute! Make your stakes higher than your competition.
- Build feedback into your process.
- Modify and refine your plan as you go
Yes, there will be a test on this stuff. Save your answers.
- Complete today’s workout on the TeamBuildr app. Be sure to mark each exercise complete as you finish it.
You’ll notice that I’ve included Juggling in the workouts. Learning to juggle is a great way to develop hand-eye coordination and is a great skill for hockey players to develop (particularly goalies. If you’d rather replace the juggling with another new physical skill (say skipping rope or ping-pong), that is fine.
- Think about who it is you want to be and what you’d like to accomplish. Please include as much detail as possible. It is okay if you’re not really sure yet how to answer this question. Remember, you can always change your mind. Discuss your answer with your parents and then post your answer to the team WhatsApp group.
For example: I’d like to become a varsity student hockey player at a top engineering school in Ontario and study to become an architect.