This is the sixteenth day of our team’s virtual mid-season training camp. Each day for 28 days, there will be a short assignment for you to do to continue your development. These assignments are mandatory for players and coaches. Parents are also encouraged to participate.
Today, we’ll be learning about how to develop (and teach) develop defensive skills as part of the Hockey Canada Pond to Podium Development – Skills Series featuring Canada’s National Women’s Team athletes and staff.
There are lots of great examples for defencemen to learn from in this video. Even if you’re not a defenceman, this is worth watching.
Presenter: Tara Watchorn
- Played for Canada’s National Women’s Team from 2010 to 2016, winning a gold medal at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, and silver medals at the IIHF Women’s World Championship in 2011, 2015 and 2016.
- Won the Clarkson Cup with the Boston Blades in 2015.
- Named CWHL Defenceman of the Year in 2014-15.
- Played for Boston University from 2008 to 2012, winning the Hockey East championship in 2010.
- Served as an assistant coach with Canada’s National Women’s Under-18 Team for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons, winning silver at the 2020 IIHF U18 Women’s World Championship.
- In her fourth season as an assistant coach with Boston University.
- Complete today’s workout on the TeamBuildr app. Be sure to mark each exercise complete as you finish it.
- After you watch it, post something you enjoyed from the video to the team WhatsApp group.