This is the day thirteen of our team’s virtual mid-season training camp. Each day for 28 days, there will be a short assignment for you to do to continue your development. These assignments are mandatory for players and coaches. Parents are also encouraged to participate.
In preparation for our meeting with Shaun Reagan, the Head Coach of the University of Waterloo Warriors Women’s Hockey Team, we’re putting together a list of questions that you would want to ask any coach or recruiter.
However, there are some questions that you should NOT ask the coach or recruiter.
Questions You Should Know The Answer To
Before meeting or talking with a coach or recruiter, you should do a little bit of research about the school, team, roster and coaching staff. Most of this information is readily available by doing some simple Internet searches.
Knowing these answers in advance will show the coach that you are prepared for the interview. It also shows a genuine interest in the school and hockey program.
Questions About The Current Team
- How is the team doing this season? How has it done the past few seasons?
- How many players do you have on your roster?
- What does your schedule look like?
- When do your playoffs start?
- When does your team play next?
- How many games does your team play each year?
- How much travel does your team do?
- What programs or majors are your players enrolled in? Usually you can find this information on the team roster of the university athletics site.
- Who else is on your staff? You should know the names and recognize the photos of coaches and recruiters who you may meet from the schools that you are interested in?
Questions About The Admissions Process
- How do I apply to the university or college? In Ontario, the process for admissions to university or college is separate from the school. You should talk with your high school guidance counsellor about this topic.
- What grades will I need to get into specific programs? Typically, the school website will be able to provide this information.
- What are the pre-requisite courses for admission to specific programs?
- What courses will I take as part of a specific program?
- Complete today’s workout on the TeamBuildr app. Be sure to mark each exercise complete as you finish it.
- Can you think of any other questions that you could find the answer to on your own?
- With your question or one of the questions listed above, try to find the answer to the question online. Since we will be talking with Coach Reagan from the University of Waterloo, if possible, answer the question specifically relating to his team and program. Since they haven’t played any games this season, you may need to look at results from last season. Post the question and answer to the the team WhatsApp group. You may also want to post the URL of the web page where you found the answer.